Over 2000 Posts Search here

Custom Search

Friday, 5 December 2008

Ray Carrasco Texas Mexican Mafia member moved from a federal jail for his own safety

member of the Texas Mexican Mafia who admitted participating in two murders was moved from a federal jail for his own safety after a local television station erroneously reported that he was cooperating, authorities told a judge Wednesday.
Ray Carrasco was moved last month after KENS-TV posted a video report on mySA.com that talked about his plea deal but wrongly said he was cooperating with law officers, an FBI agent and a prosecutor said at Carrasco's plea hearing. “I can and will tell you he is not cooperating. Period,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Joey Contreras told U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia. Contreras' assertion was a rare disclosure of the behind-the-scenes activity in high-profile prosecutions. Contreras said he normally never discusses whether any defendant is cooperating.An FBI agent told the judge that the station pulled the report off the Web site after agents saw the streaming video and contacted KENS. Carrasco was then moved.“At no point did we say this guy cooperated,” KENS news director Kurt Davis said in an interview Wednesday, challenging the agents' statements. “For the record, we were made aware that this guy was not cooperating with law enforcement. We reported that he had worked out a deal but was not cooperating.”KENS-TV is a partner with the Express-News in mySA.com until Jan. 5. The newspaper posted its own story on the Web site about the plea deal that made no mention of cooperation.Carrasco pleaded guilty to conspiracy to participate in racketeering activity, which included the killings of two fellow gang members (one suspected of cooperating with law officers), extortion and trafficking of heroin and cocaine. He agreed to be sentenced later to 20 years in prison. His lawyer, Warren Wolf, said Carrasco never had any plans to testify against any of the other 34 members charged in January with racketeering and 22 killings between 2000 and 2005.“His sole intention was to enter a plea on his own case,” Wolf said. “If that (cooperation) were part of the plea offer, he would not have accepted.”Carrasco asked the judge to be returned to San Antonio, but sources said that might not be possible because of lingering security concerns.“We'll advise the court on any security issues, but we can't comment on why we move someone, when or where,” said Chief Deputy U.S. Marshal Fernando Karl, whose office oversees pretrial jailing of federal inmates.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Background

Privacy Policy (site specific)

Privacy Policy (site specific)
Privacy Policy :This blog may from time to time collect names and/or details of website visitors. This may include the mailing list, blog comments sections and in various sections of the Connected Internet site.These details will not be passed onto any other third party or other organisation unless we are required to by government or other law enforcement authority.If you contribute content, such as discussion comments, to the site, your contribution may be publicly displayed including personally identifiable information.Subscribers to the mailing list can unsubscribe at any time by writing to info (at) copsandbloggers@googlemail.com. This site links to independently run web sites outside of this domain. We take no responsibility for the privacy practices or content of such web sites.This site uses cookies to save login details and to collect statistical information about the numbers of visitors to the site.We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and would like to know your options in relation to·not having this information used by these companies, click hereThis site is suitable for all ages, but not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 years old.This policy will be updated from time to time. If we make significant changes to this policy after that time a notice will be posted on the main pages of the website.

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP